Wednesday, September 10, 2008

[Sucks or Blows?] The San Jose Super Toy Show


And the answer is, only a little. Only a little.

Despite having an overabundance of toys that could probably be found at the nearest Wal-mart, the San Jose Super Toy, Comics and Record Show wasn't that bad. In between the dozens of those booths, there were some actual gems in the mix.

A few boxed Exo-squad toys were sprinkled around the dealer floor. Which would be cool if they weren't all missing their internal trays. So the toys were all shaky loose inside the box. Yikes.

Also: weird bootlegs. But not when they are priced at $150. So none of those for me. One guy had an old Go-Lion (Voltron) bootleg for $30. It was fine, except there was no black lion. When you can't form Voltron from the Voltron lions, that's kind of a deal breaker.


But I did find this neat-o Machine Saurer bop-bag from some guy with a truckload of Rat Fink stuff. How he got this, I have no idea. Since it was entirely written in Japanese, I referred to it as the "dinosaur robot thing" when I asked about the price.


Also, right before I left, I bought this Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad toy. Laugh at the name if you will, but it's genuine grade-A transforming super robot. One of the last good toys before McFarlane defiled the toy market for the next decade. Takara produced the Japanese toys under the Gridman TV series at roughly the same time as the last Transformers and the post-Transformer Brave toyline. So that's why Zenon kind of looks like Optimus Prime.

Overall not bad by my standards. Not a lot of vintage, but lots of 90s stuff, which I totally dig.

No comments: