Saturday, May 8, 2010

The results are in...

nisemono

I can't believe that it's been nearly a year since I wrote this post about these two suspected Gargamel test shot fight figures.

Last month, I finally had the opportunity to speak face-to-face with two people who have been with Gargamel from the beginning: Kiyoka Ikeda and Koji Harmon. We briefly met at the recent Super7 Dairakugaki Matsuri show. Neither could recall ever casting the Gargamess in these colors. They were both of the opinion that these were originally clear vinyls dyed pink and green, respectively.

While this is disappointing, confirmation is gratifying to a certain degree. I can't really fault the store that sold them to me because they probably had no idea as well. On the other hand, I think it is bad form to sell questionable items without confirming their authenticity. There have been other cases of customs being passed off as originals.

Consider this case closed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember this mystery/controversy well. It's really cool that you got to resolve it via consultation with the Garga-people.

I'm hoping that some day we'll know the truth about the mysterious unpainted green RxH Shintosan! :-)