Monday, May 4, 2009

Cardboard fetish

Tsukuda - Nessie diving toy

So it's another post with boxed toys, mm-mmm! Secretly, I am hoping that my use of the word "fetish" will drive more traffic to this blog.

Tsukuda - Nessie diving toy

This is an old toy of the Loch Ness Monster made by Tsukuda. I'm not quite sure if it's plastic or vinyl because I have yet to open the box, but I would suspect plastic. There is a small motor attached to the underside of the toy allowing it to dive and resurface when placed in the water. It's a particularly adorable rendition of the famous cryptid, with an undefinably Japanese aesthetic. Love the big, googly eyes.

I guess a diving whale toy was sold alongside this one. A whale and Nessie. A sea turtle or dolphin would have been too obvious, I suppose.

Tsukuda - Nessie diving toy

You may be familiar with Tsukuda Hobby- related to Tsukuda toy- which produced a number of nicely-detailed dinosaur models and pre-assembled toys in the 1980s. Unfortunately, it appears that most of the Tsukuda family of companies filed for bankruptcy following 2002.

No comments: