Saturday, March 21, 2009

The rain is gone


EDIT 3/22/09: The title of this post is now ironic, because it rained really hard last night.

I was recently hooked up with some very cool CLEAR vinyls by a couple of great people...

Dream Rocket - Balbagon

Balbagon [バルバゴン] by Dream Rocket [ドリームロケット]! Yajima-san must like green, because there has been an abundance of clear neon green releases as of late. And that's ok with me, because I love green!

Dream Rocket - Balbagon

Dream Rocket - Balbagon

This Balbagon was released at Hobby Complex 06 in December 2008. An awesome painted version (also in clear green) was also sold at that show, and featured a new paint wash technique that really brings out the texture on this sculpt. These two toys, plus a new GID base yellow Balbagon, were sold (and sold out) on Dream Rocket's website tonight. I missed the yellow one!

Nakayoshi - Bengal (Fall Patchi-Summit 2008, lottery prize)

And in the other corner, there is Bengal [ベンガル] by Nakayoshi [なかよし]! It seems as though Nakayoshi has been experimenting with clear vinyl because this the first clear piece that I have seen from them.

Nakayoshi - Bengal (2008 Fall Patchi-Summit, lottery prize)

Bengal is Nakayoshi's latest original kaiju, and has been sold in elusively small quantities at various Japan toy shows. This clear version was given away as a lottery prize at a Patchi-Summit in November 2008. How did I get it? Hmmmm.. ;)

Size compare

This guy is a lot smaller than I thought he would be (some of the Ultra kaiju previously sold by Nakayoshi are enormous). But that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Nakayoshi - Bengal (Fall Patchi-Summit 2008, lottery prize)

Nakayoshi's clear vinyl is very thick and pliable- about the closest to Gargamel vinyl that I have seen yet. It also brings out some of the more interesting textures in the sculpt... check it out- just like the Hexalite inserts in Reeboks!

Keep your eyes on the bottom right menu. I am working on the next installment of the Dream Rocket database, featuring Gumoz. This is my favorite Dream Rocket kaiju, so I'll be sure to do my best.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

any idea where I can get my hands on a clear green balbagon these days?

RobotXMonster said...

Sorry, but I have not seen one for sale in a while.

You could try contacting the folks at Grumble Toy (www.grumbletoy.com) as they did have some in stock at one point.